Ron and Kelly's 2007 AT thruhike

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Down Quilt


In my quest to lighten the load that Kelly and I will be carrying, I decided to make my own down quilt. I guess it was also to quench my desire to tinker and create.

I'm sure Kelly will make a post about the mess I created. And I'll leave that to her.

A couple of things I wanted to accomplish with this quilt. One, I wanted it to be large enough for Kelly and I to share. Two, it had to be relatively light weight. And lastly, it had to be inexpensive.

First the inexpensive part. Well this is really inexpensive if you consider I was reusing materials I already had on hand. I decided to use the down from a 10 degree sleeping bag from Mountain Hardware what was too short for me and too big for Kelly and also weighed 3.5 pounds! I gutted the bag (kind of expensive but I got it on sale... Sorry Bryan for the destruction of the "CONDUIT!!") and took out the down (more on that later from Kelly). I then ordered fabric from Thruhiker.com. 1.1 ounce nylon ripstop with slight seconds. That's about half the cost of 1st quality fabric. It looked fine to me.

With the fabric purchased and the weight only being 1.1 oz per square yard I knew that this project was going to cut the weight down from the original bag. I did some test sewing with the new machine (later to be returned because I'm just going to end up using my mom's old Singer). I then headed for the final push. I spent about 4.5 hours cutting, prepping and sewing the majority of the quilt before I stuffed it with down the next day. Later I stuffed it and sewed up the remaining seams in just over 2 hours. Some of it was rushed, and there is one side that isn't as pretty as the rest. And some of the chambers aren't exactly the same size. The end result is pretty nice and only weighs 1.8 pounds.

You can view the album below just by clicking on it.

5 Comments:

  • Ron,

    Thanks so much for making this blanket for us. I'm simply amazed that you made something so elaborate with an added drawcord and Velcro! It's hard to believe that this is your first big sewing endeavor.

    I've enjoyed having the blanket ALREADY, so I know we will love it on The Trail. You still have to convince me to send home my Mont-bell bag during the summer, though.

    Love,
    Kelly

    By Blogger Ron and Kelly, at 2:43 PM  

  • Wow! Color me impressed--light, warm and recycled, what could be better?? =)

    The next time I'm in need of a new quilt, you're my main guy, Ron! ;oP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 PM  

  • Impressive Ron!

    The drawstring is a really nice feature. Does the quilt roll up into it's on bag, or is there an additional stuff sack?

    Can't wait to order mine! ;)

    By Blogger kevin, at 7:24 PM  

  • It has an additional stuff sack. Goldie Locks style. Made three and the third was just right.

    Thanks for the compliments all. I'll make another one sometime. If someone wants me to make them one (offer for friends and family only) Just get the mats and I'll sew that sucker up for you.

    —Ron

    By Blogger Ron and Kelly, at 1:21 PM  

  • Ron, this is awesome! And it is YELLOW! :-)

    I may be ordering a quilt for Ella's soon to be toddler bed. I hope you were serious when you said you would take order from friends and family!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home