Ron and Kelly's 2007 AT thruhike

Friday, August 04, 2006

Customer Service

On my quest to get the lightest gear for our thru I purchased a Tarptent Double Rainbow tent. I made it on the early bird list to get one of the first models released. However, when the tent arrived and I went to seam seal it I found that some of the stitching was questionable, and one of the tie-outs broke. Quite disappointed I wrote an email to the company and sent pictures of the broken tie out. Henry Shires who owns the company responded and offered to send me a new tent and shipping label to return the damaged one. What amazed me were two things: the promptness of his reply which was on a Sunday (the same day that I sent the email) and that he is sending the shipping label with the new tent. He's completely trusting me with two of his products. I thought that was pretty cool. I had previously read that his customer support was top notch but had no clue it was this good. I didn't have to argue or beg or anything. In his first email response he said he'd send me a new one if that would be what I desired. Plus one for this fellow.

Now if you go to the link above and check out the tent — it is freaking awesome! 2.5pounds and tons of room for two with so many different pitching options. I now have 3 tents one that weighs about 8 pounds (yikes) one around 4.5 pounds and my latest 2.5 pounds. Maybe this weekend I'll go into detail the gear that Kelly and I will be using for our hike next March.

3 Comments:

  • Awesome tent! Fantastic customer service. Wow! How nice not to have to argue, beg, plead, etc.

    By Blogger Rach, at 9:33 AM  

  • I'm shocked Bob isn't following this blog, Ronnie. He gets so excited about lightweight tents and things. :-)

    I'm glad the customer service was really excellent. Can't wait to read more about your hike plans.

    By Blogger Jess, at 11:14 AM  

  • whoa! that thing is sweeeeeeet! 2.5 pounds! i eat burritos that weigh more than that.

    By Blogger kevin, at 3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home