Blueberry Patch
We were the first group of the day to make it into the hostel. Gary and Lennie Poteat run a superb operation out of their beautiful home. Gary showed us the hikers' quarters which had a main room with a fridge, hotplates, and wood burning stove. The back had a table with mail drops, two triple decker bunks across from each other, and another table with hiker boxes and a medicinal cabinet. A hiker box is a huge bin where hikers can drop off gear and food they no longer need. The contents are free for the taking. The shower at the hostile is out back past his blueberry patches but before the donkeys and goats. The donkeys ate right out of our hands.
The Poteats are fantastic! Gary and his son thru-hiked in '91 so he knew the first thing we should do was freshen up in the shower. He provided clean towels and wash cloths. Then while snacking on some free snacks and chatting with the other hikers who came in Lennie did our wash, which came back to us clean and folded. Thanks!!!
After the other hikers settled in, Gary took us into town so we could get some good eats and resupply. 'Nice Enuff,' 'Torpedo,' and 'Fah Mah' and us two decided to eat at Daniel's steak house and buffet.
AYCE (all you can eat) is a great thing for hikers. Let's just say that salad, chicken, rice, beans, mashed potatoes, peach cobbler, strawberry shortcake and soft serve ice cream were some of the items that filled us up.
After dinner and the resupply at Ingles Supermarket Gary came and took us back to the hostel where we got to further talk with the other hikers. We were happy to see that 'Daywalker' had arrived.
Gary had seen him in town after dropping us off. He convinced him to spend a night at their place free of charge. (They do take donations but no longer charge the 17 dollar fee that was mentioned in Backpacker Magazine's "best of for the AT". Gary did say that BP was correct on the part about them serving the best breakfast on the trail.) Gary also hooked Daywalker up with some rain gear and an altimeter watch.
Gary rang the breakfast bell at 8:30, and we enjoyed a meal of fluffy pancakes with homemade blueberry syrup, scrambled eggs, cheese biscuits, sausage, orange juice, and coffee. DELICIOUS!
We then attended Palm Sunday service with the Poteats and received an incredibly warm welcome from the worshippers.
Gary drove Daywalker and us back to the trail, and it was like saying goodbye to an old friend. We hiked a half-day hike in the rain and arrived at a shelter where we met up with some old and new friends. After dinner and playing cards (Thank you, Mrs. Maher!) we enjoyed a campfire. Now there are twelve of us sharing the shelter with the mice pitter patting about.
Happy Trails

8 Comments:
Sounds like you guys are trucking right along and meeting some interesting people. It is fascinating to hear about "trail culture". Can't wait to see you guys here in a few weeks! Keep up the blogs - we love checking in! You missed Will on TV Saturday - a home improvement show on TLC - pretty cool!
Kat and Scott
By
Anonymous, at 2:01 PM
How wonderfully kind the Poteats were. It reaffirms my faith in humanity and man's kindness to man.
You guys sound like this is such a dream come true. I pray your enthusiasm keeps you going right through to the end!! :o)
By
Rach, at 2:46 PM
It blows me away that you guys are hiking 14 miles in a single day! Keep up the great work!!
I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!
By
Anonymous, at 5:02 PM
You Are so lucky!!! I am jealous!! I wish I were out there too!!! sounds like yall are having a ton of fun!! Keep it up and I hope to meet up with you at some point!!!
Will
p.s. I wouldnt worry about your car, it appears that you dont necessarily need one!!!
By
Anonymous, at 7:26 AM
Hi guys! I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! Scott says hi and we just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you. Take care! We're glad you're having fun!
Stephanie
By
Anonymous, at 9:43 AM
I am so excited for you guys! I am seriously in awe at your posts. Reading all your happy explanations makes me have to remind myself what a nightmare your trip would be for me! :) The mouse part at the end helped ;) But seriously, you two make it seem so easy to just pick up and follow a dream no matter how crazy it may seem to someone else and that is so admirable. Keep up your great work and let me know if you need any indulgences when you hit our area. I'm useless for hiking supplies, but luxury toiletries and up to the minute celebrity gossip I have in abundance! :) Good luck on the rest of your trip, I'm staying tuned in.
Love, Allie
By
Anonymous, at 10:50 AM
Hey You two! It is Will's sister Essie! I am really enjoying following your "odyssey" daily and think you are absolutley awesome to do this!! Lucas and I look at pictures and talk about how far it is every couple of days!! He is amazed that Uncle Will's friends can walk that far!!! We are so proud to know two such interesting and determined people!! GREAT JOB!! Best Wishes Essie & Lucas
By
Anonymous, at 1:44 PM
sounds like your having a fantastic experience. we are following you all the way. we finally got rid of the snow in Vermont, can't wait to see you in late summer. joanne and ernie
By
Anonymous, at 12:01 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home