Ron and Kelly's 2007 AT thruhike

Friday, March 30, 2007

Cowmountain

Photo of Kelly with Brent in the background from Cowmountain when we realized we over shot our campground by .5 miles. Rob had already set up camp but decided to backtrack with us to Baggs Gap Creek.

Kel and I had a great day today. Our longest day came in at 14.4 miles. We spent the night at Baggs Creek Gap. Funny thing is we overshot it yesterday,by half a mile after leaving Neels Gap and the Walasi-Yi (Kel will go into further detail). We had our first fire on this trip. What a great way to cheer everyone up before bed time. Our camp mates were Rob from Arizona and Brent from Greenville SC.

The next morning we cranked out some seven or so miles before lunch and had us some tastey Cliff bars and Combos. The second half of the day was a little more trying for me. My knees feel stronger than ever but my feet became tired really fast. I think I might have my boots on too tight for fear of blisters. By the end of the day I was happy to kick the boots off start a fire and ate some pasta primavera.

We're expecting rain tonight. As a matter of fact the drops are starting to come. So we will see how good our rain skills are.

One last note. Kelly has been a tremendous partner through our first five days and 57.9 miles.

One more post scripty. Thank you to all who are reading this blog and those who've posted thus far. We really enjoy reading them and it's great encouragement for us.

Love,
Ron
Happy Trails

7 Comments:

  • You guys are amazing! Almost 60 miles already!! Too cool!

    I hope you are able to keep posting as you go along--I love keeping track of all your progress :o).

    Muchas hugs to you both and happy hiking! :o)

    By Blogger Rach, at 10:09 PM  

  • You two are amazing!! I look forward to checking your blog everyday!

    Work is just not the same without you Ron! Yo, Yo, Yo! Hike It Up!

    Love ya both.

    By Blogger T, at 9:14 AM  

  • Wow- almost 60 miles already!

    We are thinking of you two everyday and wondering about your progress. I am so thankful that you are updating your blog and sharing your very special experience with all of us in civilization. :-)

    By Blogger Jess, at 9:47 PM  

  • Nice - Glad to hear you guys are having a great time and are safe. I have been reading your blog on the road from my blackberry. Talk about tooooo much technology.

    Love you both,

    Bob

    By Blogger Jess, at 9:53 PM  

  • Hey guys!
    Looks like you are having a blast. The posts are awesome! Congrats on making it through your first week on the trail. Those photos are great. Can't wait to see you guys once you get closer to Boone.

    Happy hiking and be safe. It's going to get much colder on Thursday.

    Take care, Scott

    P.S. Ron, it wasn't all my fault. I told Shugg you couldn't drift a WRX. He had to show off though, and put a wheel on a curb and did a few barrel rolls. Car still looks good if you like big blue golfballs. I'll have it back to original form in about two years of constant work.... you do have insurance, right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

  • Hey Ron and Kelly,

    I have finally got a chance to read about your adventure! Way to go! You are doing awesome! I have been thinking of you both! Thanks for keeping us updated!

    Went to Charleston this weekend with Mandy and Liz for the Bridge Run (of course I didnt run). We saw Davey Dave and Will. It was good seeing the ASU crew!

    Hope to see you when you are in NC.

    Lisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 AM  

  • Ron, when you told me you were hiking the AT, I told you I was quite jealous. Reading this blog isn't doing anything for my jealousy.

    Keep up the blogging, and keep enjoying the trip. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time.

    Best wishes!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home