Five Bridge Challenge
However, we accidentally completed a "Five Bridge Challenge" when leaving Bear Mountain State Park the other day. We had hiked our tails off to get to the trailside museum and zoo before it closed. (The AT blazes go right through the zoo's paved roads. Hikers who make it to the gates after the 4:30pm closing time must walk around the park on a busy town road.) Luckily, we made it to the gates at 4:23 after many miles of hot, humid hiking. Phew!
Even though we were kindly asked to "walk quickly" through the zoo since the other gates would soon be locked, we did get to see a bobcat, coyote, and statue of Walt Whitman. We also overheard a family asking an employee who those people are ("those" people being us) and exclaiming "What?!" when the employee said, "Those are thru-hikers walking from Georgia to Maine. Many of them come through the park this time of year." We would have enjoyed chatting with this family, but we obeyed the original request to move quickly through the park.
Upon exiting, we were at the toll booth of the beautiful Bear Mountain Bridge during rush hour traffic. We were thrilled to walk the bridge, take LOADS of photos, say hello to the people stuck in traffic with their windows down and greeting us, etc. I guess we were simply too excited about the bridge to take out the guidebook and check if we needed to walk into Fort Montgomery, NY, to buy food via 9W before the bridge or 9D after the bridge. Of course, we just crossed the bridge and admired the Hudson River below and THEN took out the guidebook. (Bridge crossing #1)
Woops! We can only reach Fort Montgomery from 9W, so back we went. (Bridge crossing #2.) This time we even saw the aftermath of a fender bender during rush hour. Everyone was okay, and the officials were already on the scene. (By the way, the AT is USUALLY a wilderness experience, but not ALWAYS.)
We then walked the .9 miles into Fort Montgomery crossing the 9W bridge. (Bridge crossing #3) Of course, it poured buckets on us because that's what happened pretty much every afternoon in NY. Still, we made it to a deli/convenience store, re-supplied, and hit the road again. We crossed the 9W bridge again on the way back to the trail. (Bridge crossing #4) This time, we saw a nice rainbow over the soon-to-be-crossed-again Bear Mountain Bridge.
When we got to the Bear Mountain Bridge, we walked across it (bridge crossing #5) at a much more peaceful time of the evening. People were out on their boats, and the sunset turned out to be great.
After that, we hiked the 1 mile straight up to Hemlock Springs campsite with Paloma, Ghetto, Crazy Bear, and Carpenter. We shared our self created, though accidental, "Five Bridge Challenge" story. Carpenter later planned the logistics for his "Connecticut Challenge." That's much too ambitious for us!
-----------------------
Happy Trails!


8 Comments:
Test, Test, 1,2,3 .. 1,2,3 is this thing working? Hello? Hello? echo, echo. Ok I'm crossing my fingers the comment will go through. -- While completing the 5 bridge Challenge is impressive, I am still shocked you two are going to try the Six Pack Challenge, lol. Somehow, drinking a beer every mile while hiking through WILDERNESS just doesn't seem like a bright idea. Glad you agree with me on this ;-) As always love ALL the pics. Take Care! Mel
By
Anonymous, at 11:35 PM
Ron and Kelly,
If I'd known about such things as the "Six Pack Challenge" I might have hopped on board to do some hiking too. I can see it now...Don gets about 6 miles into that challenge and is walking the trail hugging everyone and telling them all that "I LOVE YOU MAN".
Glad you are continuing to see great sites and have memorable experiences.
I feel privledged to know "those" people.
Love to you both!
Don
By
Anonymous, at 7:22 AM
LOL! I'm glad you guys made it without having to do the "10 Bridge Challenge"! :oP
Happy trails, guys! :o)
By
Rach, at 8:12 AM
Kelly and Chicote you are bringing back memories. I use to camp at Bear Mountain State Parkwhen I was a kid. Gave a city boy the chance to see more that just concrete and high rise buildings. That sure is a long way from were you started back in GA. Keep up the great work and I look forward to you next entry.
Chris & Kafia
By
Anonymous, at 6:44 PM
Hiking for one day stright seems like a challenge to me! Keep up the good work, little hikers!
Hugs,
Catherine
By
Anonymous, at 8:22 PM
Kelly & Ron: Floyd & Faye are enjoying reading your adventures of hiking AT. We always dreamed of doing just that but just putting it off & doing TAXES instead. What a bummer!
When I read of rain---I just pray please no lightening & wind.
Keep treking on! You're doing good. See you before April 15th.
By
Anonymous, at 7:25 AM
Congrats on conquering the 5-bridge challenge! I think you should share this discovery with other hikers so they can follow your lead. I'm reading a Walk in the Woods right now and it's about as close as I'll get to hiking the AT. We're proud of you guys. What a journey! Thanks for all the updates - we love them!
Kathryn
By
Anonymous, at 2:13 PM
Fabulous posting! And isn't it true that there is always someone out there going faster, farther, harder, higher?! You are so wise to let the challenges find you instead of "planning" them. We think about you all the time.
Peace, C, G and I
By
Anonymous, at 9:41 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home